I Forge Iron

A weekend of forging and welding...

Everything Mac

Not all that bushy I know but fun all the same. 

This last 3 weeks at home has been a busy time for me. Lots of wedding organisation stuff and a trip away with the full family which was great. 
In the between times I even managed to get some shed time with a lot of welding admin getting sorted and a little forge time. 

I made a start on a "product line" of bbq tools forged from horse shoes. 

1013648_10155176361505655_16503811175177

10923314_10155176362145655_7237404437704

A steak flipper and a fork. I'll be adding a spatula type doodaa when I get back from the rigs in about 3 weeks. 

I've got my first ever show coming up this year so it will be pretty busy in the coming months trying to make as much stuff as possible. 

I'm also on a quest to make a good number of bottle openers too...

10994233_10155168558720655_1991735037690

As for the welding - Ive needed to get a few projects off the ground for a good while. 

This will be a portable forge once it's all finished. (For the show) - All I need is legs and to sort the front of it out a little bit. - the hand cranked fan weighs a ton! I've got another forge to build too as I've got all the bits just taking up space so best get welding and sell it on.

Forge.jpg

And finally I needed to sort out my swage block stand. I threw the last one together and being a bit skint at the time I scrimped on the legs - so you had a tripod of pipes rather than anything solid. 

Swage_stand.jpg

I also didn't have a recess to hold the block vertical which was frustrating as well as the original stand being too high...

swage_stand_2.jpg

The added bit of angle iron at the front acts as a place to store my angle grinder which works a treat.
I did the whole project with the stick welder, I desperately needed the practice but it's nice to see I'm getting there. 

getting_there.jpg

I had actually run out of wire on the mig and got some yesterday  - It seems I now need to practice my mig skills again...
Thanks for looking all the best
Andy

Nice. A stand like that is on my to do list for my new swage block. I have to keep my eyes open at the tech school for some scrap angle iron. About the only major thing I'd change is some braces near the bottom of the legs and probably some feet.

Cheers bud, I added some discs to the feet shortly after that photo was taken funnily enough. And braces are on the agenda when I get back from the rig in a few weeks. I'm not sure what to use for the braces, just some flat bar or more angle iron. I'll just have to see what I can get when I go to the scrap yard to be honest. All the best Andy

Electric blower ?   Toooo much air

Hand crank ?     You must be left handed...

Not enough space for ash gate dump and cap will get hot..  suggest a flap style..

Fire pot design...  you will have to build a bigger fire than you need for that  bowl shape and coke and coal arrangement will be hard.  Clinkers will form and you have no breaker. 

Plus what TP said..

Back to the drawing board

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Well this is the third time I've written a reply to this thread. Maybe the gremlins are gone at last? 

So, I've added an extra 90 degree bend in the path of the air that doesn't need to be there. Granted it is a slow bend so shouldn't affect much but I should have just mounted the blower straight onto the horizontal pipe. And as Jim points out the handle is set up on the wrong side. - As much as I hate to have to cut it up again I feel I will have to. 

Annoying but I should have noticed this to start with. I guess I just had that design in mind and that was that. Oh well. No real harm done. 

It's a hand cranked blower so an air gate won't be necessary. As for clinker etc I'm not concerned about that as I'll be using charcoal in this forge. Last time I used good quality British made charcoal I had barely any clinker to speak of. The ash dump could probably use work though. 

All the best 

Andy