I Forge Iron

Encouragement for new guys

I am new to this site, but been working metal for about 5 years or so. I just thought I would give the guys wanting to start a little encouragement. when I started I had a woodstove for a forge,a 12 inch ductile iron pipe plug as an anvil and channel locks as tongs. I actually forged some very nice things with this as a set up. But I did a lot of filing. Where I live Blacksmithing tools are very hard to come by. Anvils are almost impossible to find, Most other things are nearly as bad, despite this I never gave up. I got lucky and someone gave me a Buffalo forge that was froze up but a week in oil and it turns great I reworked the pan and it works pretty well now.

I got a new NC Cavalry anvil in trade for some work That made a huge difference. I got a bunch of tongs given to me that were pretty floppy and worn but I reforged them and tightened them up so they work pretty good now.

Someone gave me a bench vice that weighs about 50 pounds and it too was froze up, a little work got it loosened up though.

I acquired a bunch of punches and chiseles  and some hammer heads at a yard sale.  I have not been taught by anybody, I learned everything all by myself, I have done no forge welding yet as I use charcoal and my forgepot is not deep enough do get welding heat with charcoal.

So my word is don't give up, you can get what you need if you just keep at it!!!!