I Forge Iron

Home built 2 x 72 belt grinder

Zooker89

I am new here, but thought I would share this...
I rarely like to just buy something to try something out and as you all know a 2 x 72 belt grinder is not inexpensive. I watched a million videos and came across a guy from Canada that developed some plans for a grinder built from wood. If you search 2 x 72 belt grinder on youtube you will find him. I purchased his plans and directed them to modify to my own taste. His plans utilized MDF for all the wheels and I wanted a little more precision from mine so I purchased a drive wheel and tension wheel from Beaumont Metal Works. My wheels for the flat platen are longboard skateboard wheels. Since I had to buy four I made a second attachment for a slack belt. I got a decent 1 HP motor from a friend running three step pulleys and added a switch and a rolling cart under it. The photos here are of it raw wood. once it gets above 15 degrees in my shop I will paint it with a decent paint to prevent movement and hopefully "fire" proof it. Having used it for a little bit, I will say it is smooth as silk and sturdy, but having said that if the bug really bites me I will be getting a KMG. I only have about $350 into this one including an assortment of belts, so it doesn't owe me much. I would be happy to share any information and get detailed photos for anyone who is interested.
temporary_zps90b36d81.jpg
WP_20150213_003_zps525zwoig.jpg temporary_zps30eab809.jpgtemporary_zps6c38abc8.jpgtemporary_zpsefc64f19.jpg

Beautiful work.

With the showers of sparks coming off any steel being ground, I wonder how long the wooden parts will last?  I have set a few shirts and pants on fire!!  You might adhere some thin sheet metal to the wooden table parts at least.

Beautiful work.

With the showers of sparks coming off any steel being ground, I wonder how long the wooden parts will last?  I have set a few shirts and pants on fire!!  You might adhere some thin sheet metal to the wooden table parts at least.

It will probably be short lived as I work out the kinks, I will probably move toward an Aluminum frame as the design works out, but yes, my thought was to make some "mud flaps" so to speak to curtail; any unwanted flames. I have also set a few shirts on fire.

That looks mighty fine! As my signature states... find a way or make one!

Thank you Sir!

Nice. I like the skate board wheels. Looks like they work fine. I couldn't find an inexpensive 2" wide idler wheel when I made my wood 2x72 grinder and so I made may own.

​My idler and drive wheels are about 3" wide. Only the platen wheels are 2" wide.