I Forge Iron

Drop point hunter

Rich Hale

• 2 weeks later...

Rich,
Where do you get fossilized mamoth ivory? Also, what's it like to work on? Is it literally hard as a rock, or somewhat softer. Can it be sanded/ground/polished with normal abrasives? Does it hold glue well? Sorry for all the questions, but that is some absolutely gorgeous material, not to mention how well you executed that knife (as always).

You can google for the material several places have it I find it at knife shows and hock everything to buy more, Yes it is a tad pricey. I do not use pins. Pins would likely lead to cracks after or during the fitting. It is kind of like glass in that you can get away with something one time and the next time you have pieces. It is not hard to work with normal belts I rough with 100 grit then finer grits then polish. Once it is fastened to the blade all is well. I have several more sets of scales and will likely put another together tomorrow. will post pics when it is done.