I Forge Iron

Newbie from Toronto, Canada

R_Dewey

Hello: Name is Ray and 64 yrs young. Have done woodworking for years and lots of turning out bowls and such. Took a night course in metal art at a local high school and made a trivet, plant hanger and some tool rests for my lathe. Since then have acquired a 120V Lincoln MIG and Ox/Ac. Must have a fire-bug gene, as have built a small coal forge from a brake disk and been trying to make bendy things. Just purchased a very nice Arm & Hammer 172 lb in good condition -the serial is 27754 - if somebody has AIA - would really like to know its age. I now know the allure? bonding? of a good anvil.

Projects are:

- build anvil stand - reading all i can about the designs here, a tripod looks like the best way to go, we have "Metal Supermarket" nearby, they stock all shapes of steel and will cut to length.

- try to make a set of tongs, have watched many youtubes on various techniques. so far the Brian Brazeal (member here) method looks best - the clay cylinder one is pure genius!!. Where is there a description of the names of the parts of a tong? the handles are reins, where did that arise? 

have 2 books, backyard blacksmith by Smith, and Complete Modern Blacksmith by Weygers.

just put in a membership to the Ontario Artist Blacksmith Association and look foreword to the meetings - next is in Feb in Milton.

I want to thank Steve Sells for sorting out my account problems.

Welcome aboard Ray, glad to have you. I don't know why I feel any surprise when a wood worker says s/he's interested in blacksmithing. Believe it or not it puts you into one of the largest demographics of blacksmiths in today's world.

Good books don't be bashful have the library ILL more for you and buy more.

Tongs eh? "Bits" are the jaws, "Bolster" is the rivet hinge plate,"Reins" are the handles. Origin? The bits bite the work? The bolster is spread as a bearing plate and to make the tongs stronger and pivot without wobbling, eg. bolster the action? Reins are used to control things, say a horse or draft animal just like you control the work in the tongs?

That was fun speculating, good question, thanks.

Frosty The Lucky.