I Forge Iron

Filming for a BBC4 "slow craft" TV show.

Over the past month I have been filming the making of a twisted damascus kitchen knife for a TV show that will probably be called "Crafted".
The film crew spent 4 days with me and documented the making of a twisted damascus kitchen knife from start to finish.
 The premise of the show is to follow the making of an object without any presenters or voiceover........to let the process speak for its self.
 Its not a show and tell as such and at 30 mins it will be challenging watching for a lot of people....I have high hopes for it. BBC4 are able to make programs for a smaller demographic (half a million viewers or less) so not aimed at the x factor crowd.

camera crew setting up for an over the shoulder hammering shot.
15351716504_1d105cfed6_c.jpg

the process and workshop tools will be the real stars, lots of long lingering shots through machenery . These shots are "dirty foreground" shots.... i100 years into its career my kingshorn hammer is discovered....
15973363942_2a4f8ba73f_c.jpg

They took the sound very seriously with two directional microphones and two mounted on me , one on my foot!!
15948267506_886df9437d_c.jpg

it was a good 4 days and I hope they "Get it" , I think they do. It was satisfying hearing both camera and sound making "whooor" blokey grunts of satisfaction with captured sights and sounds.
 Here is what I made. 14 layer twisted knife.
15351713014_099cbaf036_c.jpg

The show should be aired some time next year.