I Forge Iron

Wanted to share a recent acquisition with the group and get some opinions.  I picked up a Fisher Number 2 20 pound anvil at the ABS hammer-in in Tulare last month on impulse, its a little torn up on the edges but for 20$ i couldnt just keep walking, so without further ado here are some pics :)

post-26562-0-07706900-1417411309_thumb.j

post-26562-0-53259600-1417411338_thumb.j

post-26562-0-11629000-1417411360_thumb.j

post-26562-0-10875900-1417411373_thumb.j

post-26562-0-47655500-1417411389_thumb.j

post-26562-0-76869400-1417411407_thumb.j

post-26562-0-68687800-1417411421_thumb.j

The only markings i have been able to discern so far are the FISHER logo and big numeral 2 under the horn, and the letter A towards the base under the heel.  there is a visible circle in the casting on the underside of the base, presumably where a sprue was cut off.

Anyway, i picked it up to be a bench anvil for light indoor cold work on non-ferrous metals.  to which ends, i need to clean up the horn and face and polish them.  im not going to remove a lot of material, just shine them up, but i wanted to ask if there might be any significance or meaning (to the museum for instance) attached to it that might be larger than pressing it back into service.

Thanks for looking!

The twenty pounder is a fairly common small FISHER anvil.  Someone who previously owned and used this anvil presumably thought it was a much bigger anvil and did some heavy work on it.  Go ahead and clean it up.  Remember that the body is gray iron, with the W1 steel top.  Grinding, preheating, and proper welding material, postheating, and final shaping are in order.  Since this is a small anvil, all of the steps will not take too much time or material.  The most important is to get the proper rods for the iron and steel.  I cannot comment of that, since I do not repair any of the anvils in the museum.

Post some "in progress" pictures, and what the final product looks like.

Thank you :) I have neither the tooling nor experience to do any serious refacing, so for now it will just be a good massage with a series of sandpapers to get the surface rust and superficial pitting under control.  Theres enough edge left around the heel for my purposes for the time being.  I'll ping my friend that has a MIG to see if his kit can do the job though, im not current on face repairs, been too long since I have read through one of the how to threads hereon.

I will get pics up when shes more presentable.

Thank you for the input, I have been searching on and off for the last two years to find a shop sized fisher to use and your posts and wisdom have been the source of much education and lust on my end :)

Thank you for the input, I have been searching on and off for the last two years to find a shop sized fisher to use and your posts and wisdom have been the source of much education and lust on my end :)

Thank you for you kind words.  I always strive to present facts, not made up speculation. 

If you are ever on the East Coast near NJ, give me a shout.  No one is ever the same after visiting.