I Forge Iron

Attaching metal to wood and stone

Grundsau

I've been searching through IFI and google but not really coming up with anything and trying to increase my skills in a different direction from what I've been doing.

How do you attach something like a crane and cattails or other sculpture to a wood or stone base?
I saw in a couple of threads how a collar joins different pieces together where it meets the wood which seems to act as a shoulder for the sculpture to rest on.
I've got some rustic heavy timbers in various sizes to function as a base and plenty of rocks to choose.

Another thing that has me stumped.
Has anyone made a table with stone top and had part of the frame work pass up through the stone tabletop and then pass back down through it?
I can't figure out how you get a snug fit on the stone to metal pass-through and do it while the metal is hot enough to bend with out damaging the stone.

I usually drill a hole and epoxy it in place. Roto-hammer makes a quick hole in any rock. I put painter tape around the hole so the epoxy doesn't splurb all over things. For wood the same, or you can make a longer tenon and thread it for a nut.

Steve

On items such as my driftwood centerpieces with stone bases, I typically weld a small steel dowel on the bottom of the forged steel and drill a small hole in the stone to receive the dowel, the same could be done with wood bases.  This also makes the parts where I can separate them for shipping/transport.

cp1reduced_zps0b959776.jpg