I Forge Iron

Werk und Werkzeug des Kunstschmieds

J W Bennett

Werk und Werkzeug des Kunstschmieds
The Smithy's Craft and Tools
Otto Schmirler
128 pg
ISBN 3 8030 5040 5

Okay hand tool junkies here it is. If you've ever wondered "how did they do that" this book will most likely show you an illustration or a b/w photo of the needed tooling.
Written in German, French and English, the author covers a lot of information in 128 pages. It is not a step by step beginners manual however it is full of informative drawings and illustrates many techniques and tools quite well. There are also lots of pictures of beautiful decorative iron work as well.
The first time you read it you will enjoy it and you will find yourself looking through it again and again in the evening with a snack and a cup of your favorite beverage or Carrying it out to the shop when you need an idea or help with a tool.
If there is a coffee table book for blacksmiths this is it.

Once again worth the price of admission

John

• 2 weeks later...

I Meet Otto Schmirler When I Just Started My Forging And I Also Visited His Smithy That The View Of You May See In The Book.
Otto Was A Very Nice Man ,the Book Was The Fierst One I Bought On My Starting And I Still Use It Today When I Teach.
One Of The Best Book In The Field
Hofi

• 2 years later...

This is a first class publication. The photography is good and the water colour illustrations are excellent.
Not a lesson based book but it certainly shows you how to it. Lots of good ideas for tools, tooling and techniques for decorative ironwork, the text is in German, French and English but it is kept to a minimum and only used where needed.
I've had my copy for over 20 years I was distraught that I'd thought it was lost it over a year ago, however it turned up and it was like an old friend had returned after a long absence.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...