I Forge Iron

Electric Blower how much CFM???

FlyingXS

I came across some small electric blowers today that look a lot like the old handcrank ones and have an closure built in over the air intake.

post-55258-0-67165900-1414495585_thumb.j

I have the choice of three units

2"pipe      192m3/h (113CFM)      150W 1.0A

2-½"Pipe  390m3/h (229CFM)      260W 1.6A

3"Pipe      510m3/h (300CFM)      370W 2.0A

All units have a cycle of 50/60Hz and 3000/3600RPM

post-55258-0-70944500-1414495853_thumb.p

So which one would you guys go for to use in a coke forge???

post-55258-0-78997100-1414495631_thumb.j

Depends on the size of the fire ball you want to build, how big the pipe is to the forge, how long a run and how many bends. Air is subject to friction loss just like any "fluid". That said, the bigest one can always be controled with a gate or bypas. Wile the smallest can always have a smaller forge built around it. What ever you do, don' reduce the pipe size untile you reach the tweer, minimise your bends (side blast has a distinct advantage here) and mount the blower as close as practical.

Forge isn't built yet. I am taking the approach of gather ll the materials parts first. Otherwise you get part way through and have those oh I should have done that instead or need to compromise/redo things.

PaulKrzysz.  Are you otherwise happy with the blower?   Do you use the air intake gate on the side or do you use a secondary one between the blower and forge?  My concern with the one built in the side of the blower it is used to cool the motor also.

The 2'' blower is not powerful enough to use in my forge. It barely got the coke lit. My firepot is 8x10 at the top and about 4'' deep.

I bought a bouncy castle blower instead. Yes I used a air gate on the forge (See Pics)

I will use the 2'' blower in a gas forge.

MByS3C1l.jpg

Vh7rFPol.jpgi9UkBpzl.jpg

• 1 month later...