I Forge Iron

Looking for help getting started.

Hello, my name is Colin and I'm looking for advice on Blacksmithing.  I'm relatively new, so far I have only worked on Blacksmithing and forging while I'm at home from college.  All I have is a basic anvil, as well as a couple hammers and tongs, all of which I found in antique shops.  As you may have inferred, I'm not very well off in terms of money (hence the antique tools) but would greatly appreciate any advice on getting started.  If anyone knows a good place to start, I'm all ears, otherwise I've got my sights set on trying to make some decent knives out of some railroad spikes.  I've been browsing this website off and on for awhile now, and finally decided to make an account to ask for help.  If anyone has a good place to get tools and such for Blacksmithing, I would also like to know about it.  I would like to continue my budding hobby, and again, any advice for a newbie would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome Colin. My advice to you before you begin making KSO's (knife shaped objects.) is to learn the basics of good hammer control, how to taper steel, turn round into square and back again, turn square into round and back again, learn to upset and forge back to shape. Then think about KSO's as everything you learn doing the above will help you along the path. Learn how to make your own tongs and other tools. Good luck, Steve

You already have an anvil, forge, hammer and tongs. You can make most everything else you need. Join the local blacksmithing group Nebraska Prairie Black Smiths Association. They have the knowledge and tools you seek.

Pack a lunch and a cold drink and read IForgeIron cover to cover. There is a wealth of information in the archives.

"Antique" tools are often a lot better than you find new. Just because they are old doesn't make them a lesser quality. Remember in the past, blacksmiths earned a living beating metal and were an important part of the community, not unlike a mason or carpenter today. Their tools earned them money, so usually they had to be of decent quality to last.

Personally I'd rather have a really nice piece with history to it, than a brand new tool in most cases. I regularly shop flea markets, yard sales, antique dealers, band sales and so on looking for items I might be able to use. I also try and network with as many people as possible looking for anyone who might have an old forge, anvil or vise tucked away back in an old barn or garage they never use.

As mentioned above, many old blacksmiths made a lot of their own tooling, and you can do the same. Working on tools will help build your hammer skills.

You already have the most wanted tool, your anvil. Many budding blacksmiths aren't so lucky. 90% of my tongs came from antique places or auctions mostly as bundles of scrap. Most of my hammers have come minus handles as junk. Cleaned up, new handles that I like and they work perfectly fine and low $$ investment. Put the word out to family and friends what you are trying to do and you might be surprised what comes your way for items stored in sheds and barns they didn't know what to do with.

As Glen said join the local Assoc. and attend, listen and learn from the best. Get a course or two if you can afford them and spend 100s of hours reading old posts here on IFI. The knowledge shared here now and the past could fill a library. It takes time and study, and practice, no bolt of lightening in this trade.

Good Luck

I'll second that: tons of good info here at IFI. However, you'll have to dig and piece it together. Starting with a good book that covers the basics will save you time and give you more context to understand information on IFI. One perennial favorite is "New Edge of the Anvil" by Jack Andrews. Borrow it from your library.