I Forge Iron

Odd ball trenton anvil

First off I will post pics tomorrow when I can take some decent ones in the sun light, but..... I picked up a 125# trenton today and it is in near mint condition! So here are the oddities...... The "solid wrought " stamp is above the diamond not under it, it has very defined flats on the feet like the peter wrights, an the bottom is nearly flat with no indention to speak of. I cleaned the feet of the anvil and the only numbers I was able to find was A2867 if there were more numbers at one time I don't know..... So my question is..... Is this one of the early early productions out of Columbus or an import stamped USA ???

Well it is stamped USA , so it could have been made in NJ, but that's no guarantee. Like I said before it only has a four number serial number, so I figured it was an early run from some where. It has 90-95% rebound and it is a dream to forge on, moves metal like a bigger anvil!

Trentons, according to Postman were not made in New Jersey, as the name seems to suggest. Rather, they were made in Columbus, Ohio by The Columbus Forge and Iron Company.

Acknowledgement: Anvils in America, Copyright 1998, by Richard Postman, First Edition, Fourth Printing, Page 323.

Trentons, according to Postman were not made in New Jersey, as the name seems to suggest. Rather, they were made in Columbus, Ohio by The Columbus Forge and Iron Company.

Acknowledgement: Anvils in America, Copyright 1998, by Richard Postman, First Edition, Fourth Printing, Page 323.

Look at pages 324 to 326 especially 326. They may or may not have been made in Trenton NJ. The pics on 326 look a lot like Nankbrown's anvil.