I Forge Iron

Cool ideas for first time smithing

Hi all,

I have finally found a smith near me who is running a beginners introduction to blacksmithing!

It is run over a weekend and on the first day the basics will be taught and some simple tools will be made ( i'm guessing probably tongs or something like that ).

The second day is for practicing the techniques you learned on the first and you can make whatever you want.

Does anyone have any cool suggestions or ideas of things I could/can make on the second day? Everyone I've asked so far just tells me to make swords, knives or suits of armour, which is obviously rather ridiculous, not to mention I would  preferably want to make something actually useful.

So far all I can think of is spoon/cutlery or a bottle opener ( not much of a drinker unfortunately ).

So, any suggestions? Exciteeeeed :)

Add your location to your profile. It improved the quality of the answers you can receive.

There are several threads on IForgeIron about beginning projects. There are 20,000 or so images in the gallery that should give you ideas.

You may want to consider forge welding as part of day two. 

Hello and welcome.

Something "useful" depends greatly on what interests you. Hooks and coat racks come to mind right away as do plant hangers or shelf brackets. Those are simple, easy to complete and give you time to make something else. I just finished a simple cooking tripod for a friend who wanted to do some out door cooking in a big kettle. Next on her list is a pair of towel bars for the bath of her old farm house.

Give a try to Google picture search with the words: hand forged.

Welcome to IFI! Here you can find good company and infinite sources of data. Sometimes it's worth read around and then ask.

I wish you nice time on the blacksmithing session! 

Greetings

Gergely

I'm still using the steak turner made in my intro class, as well as the coat hooks - both are simple and practical.   Get him to show you how to make a Fredericks Cross - way cool and easy to make.  Simple bottle openers are very good skill building.  Welcome to Blacksmithing - go ahead and gather all your spare money, time and sweat - Blacksmithing will take it all!!    :lol:

You cannot have too many tongs and you learn a lot of different techniques making them, Even if you first project is tongs, they make a great second, third, forth(?) project, Besides the good practice, they increase your arsenal of smithing tools