I Forge Iron

Where is this hammer from?

KRS

1FUd9I9.jpg

I live in germany where most sledgehammers look like the rear one, with or without peen.
The one in the front with the octagonal face is a barn-finding
The stamp reads "warren-teed 85-8"
Bavaria was under U.S. control after WWII so my best bet would be its a leftover from the army, have they ever been military issue?

Not sure about military but those are kind of rare to find I see them at sales sometimes I have one that's similar I found at scrapyard and had to take some of the flat side off to square up the end . Did you google any warren teed hammerspost-50135-0-85273100-1405803338_thumb.j

Did you google any warren teed hammers

lot of "vintage" warren teed hammers at ebay, some information about the company:

Registration Date
1953-12-08

EXPIRED

1994-09-12

Heavy hand tools, railroad construction tools.

But no information about oversea trades or how it got in the barn where it hasn't been touched since I guess at least 30 years.

Is the 85-8 a specific steel? Im not used to U.S steel standards

No 85-8 isn't a number for any american steels or not that I'm aware of . Its probably a serial or item number of when the hammer was made. But it looks like a good smithing hammer what is the weight on it. And the peen actually looks to be pretty pointy maybe you could sand it to be a little more useful

I did google it and found some warranteed hammers on ebay and some say blacksmith qnd some say railroad hammers but I did see where the company name was WARRENTEED OREGON so most likely american made and best bet is to work the peen down and use away and get many more years out of it .

I have not found folks on e-bay to be truthful or accurate in their descriptions in a great part--for example the "blacksmith tool" which was a cobblers bunion stretcher...

Got to love e-bay :)

Warren-Teed Goods and Services:
HAND TOOLS, PARTICULARLY HEAVY HAND TOOLS-NAMELY, SLEDGES, HAMMERS, MAULS, PICKS, MATTOCKS, HOES, BARS, WEDGES, BLACKSMITH TOOLS, TONGS, RAILROAD TRACK TOOLS, ADZES, PUNCHES, WRENCHES, AND PARTS THEREOF

(sorry for caps, its copy paste)

Yes thomas that is very true about ebay but I was just trying to find info on the hammer and that's only place I found anything even close to his pics . I have hammers that are similar but are not ten pounders

I need to check the weight again and take a better picture next week.

Chris

CuJOFwA.jpg

Both hammers pictured in front are about the same weight,  the right one is 4kg which equals to 8.8 pound.

I am certain its from the U.S army, given the age and the location where I found it

(The one in the back was mounted in a stamp, one of my makeshift anvils before I got my real anvil.)