I Forge Iron

Help with I.D. of Anvil

Found this at a rummage sale today and I would like to see if anyone has any ideas as to who the manufacturer is. post-24357-0-11279500-1403511791_thumb.j

I believe its mid 1800s cause you can see the join lines on the feet and horn. post-24357-0-28121100-1403511289_thumb.jpost-24357-0-05435000-1403511302_thumb.j

I weighed it and its 72lb so I assume the 70 is the weight post-24357-0-76548500-1403511465_thumb.jpost-24357-0-71975600-1403511459_thumb.j

I couldn't find anything conclusive in AIA, I did see a picture on Anvilfire of an english anvil marked in lbs instead of hundred weight.

Doesn't look like a Mousehole too much... the '70' on the side is confusing. Most mousehole anvils made in that period had the hundredweight and the manufacturers name. Try caulking it down a bit. Otherwise, get a ball bearing and bounce it of the top of the face. Looks in pretty good condition.

presence of welds do not indicate mid 1800's as that technique was used until much later; however the conformation does look earlier in the 19th century than later...and english

Any evidence that the pritchel hole was drilled rather than punched?  ie a retrofit?

I took a closer look at the pritchel hole and I believe it wes punched, it is not perfectly circular and on the underside of the heel you can see where the metal is raised from the process. I believe they were still using the buildup method till 1905 or so but with the lack of final forging to smooth out the seams this anvil has character!

I did find 2 places where it looks like a previous owner stamped B. C. Upsidedown just above the weight stamp and on the end edge of the heel.

My best guess, it is an imported english anvil custom ordered with the weight in lbs