I Forge Iron

Kipp, 

They are saying a 4N is too ambitious, and to try to build a mechanical hammer. A mechanical hammer can also be challenging and time consumint to make, but it is within the realm to possibility, whereas a 4N is absolutely not.

Something like this for example.

or this

Goodluck

Paul

Well I am going to try and find a hammer to rebuild. Instead of fully building a totally new hammer. Now the examples you showed me are great, but I need a high amount of machining to go into the project. I am majoring in Machine Technologies. So for my senior project/presentation/thesis paper it has to involve machining. The ones you showed me would be better for a metal fabrication major. Thanks though.

Godspeed,

Kipp 

You might have some luck contacting the shops that rebuild the older hammers. They could help point the way to a hammer with more machined parts. You could also take a used hammer, break it down and machine new parts that have tighter tolerances, or you could focus on the exterior. Best of luck to you and happy forging!

John R

That is a great idea, going to shops that rebuild hammers for help. Thanks. I am going to have to look for some. Also, getting one that works and just making new parts is a good idea too. I am going to have a lot of thinking to do.

Mac

I am aware how much fabrication can rock. The shop next to mine is metal fabrication. I have spent some time in there in after school hours learning. Also, I fabricat at home..... I do have to say that that is an awesome machine in the picture.

Godspeed,

Kipp  

Mark Krause has a booklet describing Nazel valving that is directed at building a shop made hammer. I got my booklet from Bob Bergman.  I think there is a video floating around that shows a hammer Mark built operating at the 2000? ABANA conference.