I Forge Iron

the things i made during the blacksmithing festival of 2014

Dabbsterinn

I've had much better luck striking the steel with the rock, be it flint, chert, jasper or even a piece of granite. I flake a sharp edge on the stone and strike downwards at an oblique angle against the striker just like I'm trying to shave a curl off. Shaving a curl off the striker is exactly whats needed, the spark is generated by friction as the hardened steel is cut from the parent stock. My best luck in tinder is with an orange spark, they last longer and are still plenty hot.

It sure looks like you had a good time at the festival. I love going to gatherings of blacksmiths, I always pick up good knowledge, skills and if I'm really lucky stuff.

Frosty The Lucky.

A couple of observations on the fire striking, based on my own experience. I almost always start my forge fire with a fire steel and some form of sharp rock. (I do the 1845 re-enactment stuff.) Periodically I'll do something silly like use a bow drill. I'll also demo fire starting. If you hold the steel more loosely with your fingers rather then sticking your hand through and having a death grip you are less likely to slice your fingers on the sharp rock. In striking you are shaving off pieces of the steel, so you want to find a sharp edge of whatever stone you are using. If needed knap a sharp edge into it. The sharper the edge the better it'll shave off sparks. I just re-read Frosty's post shave a shave a curl off with the sharp edge of the stone, He phrases things so much better then I.