I Forge Iron

My new to me KMG

Bought this from a nice fellow here on IFI very recently. It is the 3hp variable speed drive KMG belt sander. Has most of all the bells and whistles. Tool rack, bottom mounting plate, 10" wheel, one of the smaller diameter wheels (3/4"), flat platen, tool rest, and 55 assorted belts, from Norton Blazes, to 3M Trizacts and Cubitrons. Been a long time coming, but I think this will allow me to finally get a load of incompletes done. Just got bogged down by wanting to forge one blade after the next, and getting slowed down by slow stock removal (4x36 econo sander and files). Apparently this motor is beefy enough to handle large items like hammers and such as well.

Having my family electrician stop by tomorrow to get a look on getting it wired up. Even with a light dusting of rust, she sure is a beaut. I'm surprised this thing sat for sale in the tailgate section for as long as it did. It's their top end package cheaper than their base model 1.5hp single speed package. Barely a year old even. Oh well, it will enjoy my company for years to come.

post-28551-0-18206100-1401586915_thumb.j

post-28551-0-42169900-1401586920_thumb.j

No sooner did I upgrade to a decent kmg-clone than I found myself innudated with things that needed grinding!  Work was pouring out my ears.  There's literally nothing she won't be able to handle and you'll quickly find yourself looking for other stuff to grind on.

Spend the money on top-shelf belts.  The 2x72 family has a lot of options out there, but I've found that $6 belts will always outlast $3 belts if you run them properly, and can be used for hand-sanding to extend their usefulness a bit more.

Truly, you've walked into a whole new world of 'Can Do' with that bad boy.  Congratulations.

Thanks guys. Got the trench dug to shop and having it wired up this afternoon. Upped the gauge to 8 gauge so i have electrical to handle the press i will be building later on (a 5hp motor).

Looking forward to grinding for once. Ive already been surfing TruGrit and bookmarking several belts.

Btw, i bought belt grease recently on K&G. Is it appropriate for most or all belts, or only recommended on cheap AO belts. Also snagged 2 belt erasers.

Started using it this evening. Went non-stop for 5 or more hours. I remember when grinding used to suck in comparison to everything else in knife making. Not anymore! Not to mention slack belt grinding is rather useful. Decided to try to push it and pressed against a cheap 120 grit AO belt with a 1/4" lead spring. Never bogged down, and hogged a lot of metal. Haven't tried the blaze belts yet, lol. Was getting acquainted with the sander and finishing up a few knives.