I Forge Iron

Help regarding anvil purchase

Been looking for a short time. Would like an anvil for my shop. Dont have a forge yet, but found this anvil. The person wants $30 for it. .

Its a vulcan and he states; "The anvil measures 13"long 5.5" wide and 8" tall"
and in another email: "Length of face 8" width of face 3.25" horn is 5" long Heigth is 6.5"

Been reading this site for only a week, great info.

Thats a *small* anvil , I have one like it and it was only used on the benchtop for things like straightening nails. If the face is in good shape it's a decent price; but I wouldn't expect to do much smithing on it---you will be restricted to fairly small hammers and stock, good travel anvil for S hooks of 1/4" stock though.

just spoke to the guy, he said its in excellent condition and he's had it for 25 yrs, said the numbers were cast into it, (means its a cast anvil?=Bad?). Will meet him next week. He said theres "numbers cast all over it".
thanks again. Could I pound RR spikes with an anvil this small you think?

IF it's in good shape, buy it, then tuck it under your arm, and run away quickly while laughing an evil laugh, something like a villian would do after tying the helpless lady to the railroad tracks........Mwah haw haw hawwwww.

When you get it home, covet it, as one good anvil tends to attract more good anvils (And other metal objects), to the smithy.

Good luck acquiring it.

It's probably around 40-50 lbs so $30 is a good price - less than a buck a pound. Tie it to a big stump and go to work.

BTW, I knew a fellow some years ago - now deceased - who had a pristine Peter Wright that weighed 48 lbs on the bathroom scale. It was a little jewel and perfect for him as he was a small man with some physical limitations and could only swing about a 1 lb hammer or so. T'ain't nothing wrong with a nice small anvil so long as ship's anchors aren't on the menu...:-)

my anvil's just a little bigger than that.. A 75lb Carolina short sugar (farriers anvil.. I know) and it treats me fine.. big ol'e stump and Iv'e beat out everything from katana's (work in progress) to clay tools on it..
seems like a steal to me.. but ya never know I guess..
like said before, if you dont want it gimme the guy's info..

thanks for the information. Now I need to try and find a used gas forge...brother is giving me our one grandads leg vise and our other grandads ancient drill press. Ive collected some of the tools over the last 10 years or so. I'll post a pic of the anvil next week if someone could take it as an email. never posted one on the www.

HWooldridge... Are you insinuating theres a coorelation between the size of a mans anvil and .....:P:D

Ergoman,

I never knew what he kept under the hood - but you never know...:-0

(No, the old feller had heart trouble, was about 5'0" and weighed around 100 lbs or so near the end of his life. However, he had been a high school shop teacher for much of his career and knew how to command order from people.)