I Forge Iron

gas forge with Reid burner trying to get it to burn right.

meco3hp

I'm glad I could help Mark.

Sure you can enlarge the jet until you get a neutral burn. I think Ron was using a #58 but it's been some years so I may be wrong. However, rather than drilling to ream the hole, use tip files. (torch tip cleaner) There are a few advantages:

First, you don't have to worry about breaking bits which is darned easy trying to shave a hole up one size at a time with itty bitty bits.

Second, tip files are sized more closely than drill bits so you can get much closer to the exact right orifice.

Third, the inside of the jet is smoother and the scoring (tool marks) are aligned in the direction of the propane flow so you get a better shape gas jet and better performance for a particular diameter orifice.

Ron and I disagreed about this next bit so you decide what you like.

Ron was and is a stickler to get a device as close to perfect as he could so he would've continued to increase orifice dia till it was as close to a stoichometric (exactly neutral, all fuel and oxy consumed) flame as humanly possible.

My philosophy is different. I like to set a device like this so it induces slightly on the lean side so I can make small adjustments to the intake to achieve a neutral or carburizing burn. It gives me some leeway to adjust for changes in barometric pressure, humidity, etc. and probably insignificant.

Another point Ron likes his EZ burners (linear inducers) and I much prefer an ejector type inducer like my "T" or a sidearm or Porter. They're just a whole lot more robust inducers and less sensitive to external disturbances.

Frosty

Thanks again Frosty. Torch tip files are next on my list of things to get. Now I have to call you on using BIG words on the weekend! "Linear Inducers" and "Ejector Type Inducers". Would you please explain the differences for us newbee's? Thanks. Mark

Aw come on, I kept it to three syllables!

A linear inducer. Linear means in line. Ron Reil's EZ burners are linear inducers, the air intake is in line with the gas jet. You can look up the bore and right out the back end. Max induction rate for a commercially made linear inducer (gas on gas that is) is around 19:1 That means it will induce 19 units of gas (air, smoke, paint fumes, etc.) for every unit of high pressure gas (compressed air, propane, steam, etc.) from the jet.

An ejector type inducer's air intake(s) are at 90* to the jet. If you look up the bore you'll see the piece the jet is mounted to, not out the other end. Max induction rate for a commercially made one is around 29:1.

The first three (I hope) are of one of Jay Hayes' linear induction type burners. In one pic I've removed the choke plate so you can see the mig tip jet. As you can see, once the choke plate is removed you can look through it like a telescope.

Next is a concept drawing of my "T" burner and a pic of a 1" version and our pocket dog. . . Pocket. Note how the air intake is at 90* to the jet and tube.

Next (I'm still hoping they're in the order I uploaded them) is a Fisher burner. This is how a proper commercially made ejector burner is made. Again note the air intakes are at 90* to the tube. However, the tube is tapered for it's entire length. This is what it takes to achieve the 29:1 induction ratio.

Lastly is a shot of Larry Zoeller's coffee can forge with one of his modified Sidearm burners. Again, the air intake is at 90* to the jet.

Hope this helps clarify things.

Frosty

12253.attach

12254.attach

12255.attach

12256.attach

12257.attach

12258.attach

12259.attach