I Forge Iron

Hello from Boston

propstm

Complete beginner here.  I signed up for an intro blacksmithing class in two weeks.

I've always been interested, but finally realized I have no reason not to learn. 

I came across the site while trying to do some research before the class. 

I'm hoping to network and meet some folks in the area.

Greetings and Welcome,

You will find tons of info on this site and a lot of smiths in your area that will be more than willing to assist you with any help you need..  Good luck on your class and post who you will be studying with..  Gosh when I started 40 years ago there were no local smiths let alone the internet..   You will do well..

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Thanks Jim.  It might worth mentioning I was raised in Michigan.  I think a lot of my interest stems from spending time outdoors.

I'm hoping to learn to craft blades for knives and axes. Ice fishing spears and spuds would also be handy.

The more I think of it, the possibilities that smithing skills would provide seem endless.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. A lot of us do this for the feeling of independence being to make useful and beautiful things out of other people's trash. Heck, it's a feeling of power, pick a piece of trash out of a ditch, spend a little time on it and sell it back for high end art or a specialized tool. You just can't beat it.

And if you haven't noticed yet, the craft is contagious and addictive. Gotta love it. <grin>

Frosty The Lucky.