I Forge Iron

Finished up my third

Sharps

Hey, I just finished up my third knife. Just over 9" OAL and a cutting edge of just over 4". Forged from 5160 (Aldo's) steel, full flat grind, black canvas Micarta handle scales with yellow liners and stainless steel pins. It is hard to tell from the pictures but the tang is tapered too. I need to work on making the taper more noticeable. There are a few things that I still find "off" with the proportions and shape but it feels good to get another one done and under the belt. Each one will get better than the previous. Questions, comments and critiques welcome!

ciYlFEEl.jpg

KX6hvKyl.jpg

MZKZfiDl.jpg

s7SPA2vl.jpg

My second knife was made at a class at NESM and is a large chopper, not sure if I should make a separate post for that. If there is interest I can post it here.

Thanks guys! I'll definitely post up more as I finish them. One thing I'm learning is that handle shaping is tricky! I've also been trying to draw up a makers so I can etch the blades with my name so hopefully the next one I finish will be marked. I will also be heat treating and breaking a couple blanks that I have ground out to see how my heat treat is doing.