I Forge Iron

Expandable Rubber Drum for sanding

clinton

Has anyone tried using the expandable rubber drums for sanding? The are used in rock polishing mostly, but they have a wide range of grits available. They come in sizes of 6 inch x 2 1/2 inches and 8 inch x 3 inches.

I was talking to a knifemaker the other day and he told me about them. I plan on ordering some and was wondering if anyone was using them and how the performed before I commit to anything. I have a double sided arbor to mount them on.

post-10376-0-00646700-1397405619_thumb.j

What do you intend to mount the drum on? Does it run at sufficient Surface Speed?

A Drum that Vibrates/Wobbles/Chatters, is no fun at all.  Will your set-up be rigid and run smoothly?

Does your machine have Guards, Work Rest?

Will you have easy access to a wide variety of abrasive types and bonds, and grit sizes?

Drum sanders can be a real pleasure to use if you have all of your T's crossed and your I's dotted.

They can be set up to move material very smoothly with a high degree of control, Wet and Dry.

Safety wise, a drum can also ruin your day, week, or month, if not respected (think baseball pitching machine).

Since I am not a BladeSmith, you will need input from others more knowledgeable, per se.

Robert Taylor

The unit that I have is a heavy duty double sided arbor, the guy that I got it from said it was a drum sander. It just has a wire wheel mounted on it now. It turns rather slow maybe 800- 1000 rpm. I can put a step pulley to get variable speed. There are no tool rest (I could add one) no guards of any kind. (Not OSHA compliant) I work alone in my shop so that limits my liability.

The belts are available from 60- 1800 grit Aluminum oxide and 60- 600 Silicon Carbide

post-10376-0-89454200-1397489860_thumb.j

This is the machine, I will probably shorten the shaft it sticks out about 10 inches. This thing is a beast it weighs about 80 lbs

Those have been around a while Clinton. I have used them in wood working quite a bit. I just refinished a floor and the sander I rented had that system for the drum. I like them. Easy belt change and they grip the belt fine if it is spinning fast enough. For steel they could be a bit soft.  I'd buy one and give it a try. Be sure to buy the belts that are butt jointed rather than scarf jointed, they run smoother and they run in either direction. Don't cut the shafts... Having that kind of clearance can be helpfull with odd shaped parts... I'd mount it on a pedistal with the motor  down below and not behind so you can work the drum from both sides. Sometimes its easier to use the top of the drum and let the weaght of the work piece be the pressure instead of pushing the work piece up on the bottom of the drum.

The advantage to the long shafts is it helps with interfearance when your trying to get that particular spot. Just think how a twin arbor bench grinder can be a pain working around the motor housing.
Now I would suggest building some guards and work steadies. Make then adjustable and easy to remove. But build them and use them.
I have the rear axle assembly from an old Yamaha 3 wheeler, that is satartind to look like a grinder about now ;-)