I Forge Iron

Neck knives

Rich Hale

These are a specialty item that when needed are really handy...If they are designed for the task at hand. If the lanyard that they hang from is attached to the knife itself it will be readily used for some folks with out removing it from the neck..Think about a fly fisherman or someone fishing from a float tube. If the lanyard is attatched to the sheath so the knife hangs upside down in it...well fitted of course. then a tug on the handle makes it a quick use knife

Blade shape,,handle size and length should also be use dependant.. And we chould consider blade and handle materials as well. A carbon steel use in or around salt water may not fare well depending on care. And of course if someone is just making a knfe to make a knife..none of the guidelines need to apply.

I personally love neck knives. I haven't tried to make any but I use my S&W often. As Rich stated, they are very handy AS A TOOL. Self defense, not so much IMO. I stick to Karambits for personal defense but as with any weapon, they are only as effective as the person using it. No training makes it even more dangerous to try and use something for self defense when it could in turn be used against you. As a tool I have found them very handy while working on the iron multiple stories up when dropping your knife means a long climb down (and back up again) and hoping nobody was underneath it. Also while working in trees and even around the shop when a belt sheath can get in the way. One of my personal favorites as a tool for sure.

-Crazy Ivan