I Forge Iron

My first Forge

biggraypig

• 3 weeks later...

Sprayed the pan with high temp paint for rust prevention then clay for insulating from the heat. Figured it can't hurt and may save the cast iron from cracking. Plus got me a nice little clay bowl to hold the fire together.

Sprayed the pan with high temp paint for rust prevention then clay for insulating from the heat. Figured it can't hurt and may save the cast iron from cracking. Plus got me a nice little clay bowl to hold the fire together.

The little depression around the air grate is a duck's nest, what that forge was intended for. I stack bricks around it for any shape or depth fire I need.

The "don't dump water on it" isn't for rust prevention it's the rapid cooling of a cast iron pan that's the thing to be avoided. It's better to control the fire size by controlling the coal quantity and position with just a little sprinkle of water if you must. Cast iron does NOT like differential heating, and especially not FAST differential temperature change. I have a cast iron Buffalo forge about like yours that's cracked almost in half from someone not claying it and maybe watering the fire. No telling it's been cracked since I got it.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 weeks later...