I Forge Iron

fisher anvil repair

I didn't want to get into an argument either, but I have seen you be entirely wrong before, and then get very defensive about it. The bottom line is you really are not an expert at repairing cast iron. I have no doubt you know more than most anyone else in the world about Fishers in general, but you were wrong again in this thread. 

Antique dealers bring me broken cast iron from all over the country to repair. I learned cast iron welding at United Welding Process in Boston mass, a Caterpillar block and head welding facility. I can think of at least four different ways to fix that anvil, and all of them would make it as good as new. 

Since the subject is open, the method I would use is very close to what you mentioned. First I would rough out a horn from A-36. Then I would drill and tap the anvil and the replacement horn and screw together with a 3/4" grade 8 stud. I would then weld to within a 1/4" of the surface with MG 600, a far superior repair rod than nickel, and capable of welding to tool steel as well, with a yield strength of 180,000 pounds. Finally I would cap weld with 70,000 series wire for color match. Guaranteed never to break again, nor be a noticeable repair. 

Why don't you go into business fixing Fishers then.

Why don't you go into business fixing Fishers then.

If it pays as well as fixing 400 year old cast iron antiques I will. How many do you need repaired? 

1. They can't or shouldn't all be fixed. I have made many more posts against fixing certain anvils than I have in favor of fixing certain others.

Some anvils are ruined, made less useful or have their working lives dramatically shortened by faulty repairs when they would have worked just fine the way they are. Others can be radically improved without excessive effort or cost. 

2. The labor of the anvil poor, time rich smith who needs an anvil goes a lot further than a senior artisan with sufficient work. I will help anyone fix almost any anvil they want, but they have to bring it to my shop and they have to do almost all the work themselves and pay for whatever materials they use. 

Thanks for the help I will just use as is. The anvil is in good shape beside the eagle missing on the side. Top plate looks good with 1 little chip missing about 1/4 inch.

The eagle is gone? But it still says 'fisher' on the foot? I would very much like to see some pics if you have any, it sounds interesting.

Hey Josh,

I got a question. I understand for a time Fisher made anvils without their trademark eagle logo for shipment to the southern states. Supposedly as I understand it they needed anvils down there but didn't want the eagle as it wasn't long after the civil war and there were some pretty hard feelings about anything that looked "Union" or "Federal". Fisher obliged them by leaving the logo off for that market. Can you tell us if there is truth to this belief? Or is it just an urban myth?

If by chance it's true he may have a Rebel Fisher which is an interesting piece in it's own right B)

George

Didnt mean to offend anyone as I was trying to come across as nicely as I could I think. I was primarily just saying look for some more answers/possibilities then just this one thread. I cant claim to know everyones experience. Sometimes ones experience can be outdated or limited in a certain area as well. The way I see it though in this area where the damage is at even if the fix failed it would be back to where he is at now so couldnt hurt that much (unless the end fell off and hit his foot or something).

Hey Josh,

I got a question. I understand for a time Fisher made anvils without their trademark eagle logo for shipment to the southern states. Supposedly as I understand it they needed anvils down there but didn't want the eagle as it wasn't long after the civil war and there were some pretty hard feelings about anything that looked "Union" or "Federal". Fisher obliged them by leaving the logo off for that market. Can you tell us if there is truth to this belief? Or is it just an urban myth?

If by chance it's true he may have a Rebel Fisher which is an interesting piece in it's own right B)

George

Hi George

I have many Fisher anvils with and without the different Eagle logos.  I think the story of the "Southern vs. Northern" anvils is a myth.  I have never found any definitive proof of this.  Not saying it cannot be true, just saying, "show me something concrete from history to prove it."  If I get time, I will survey the collection and see how many anvils have the logo and how many do not, and report.