I Forge Iron

Saymak 50 silencers

I have noticed on some videos with Saya or Saymaks they are fitted with a small can like Filter and silencer up on top where the inlet and exhaust pipes are, they are only about 4 or 5 inches in diameter with a few small holes in.My ports are 1inch BSP thread and these silencer/filters screw straight into them.

Does anyone know where I can get them And do they affect the flow rate adversely,(I live in UK)

Thank you for your time. 

David

Solberg (USA) makes a line of "Filter Silencers". I just purchased one on Amazon for my newly purchased Lister diesel generator, but won't have  the unit running until late spring (New England). So, no information on the degree on intake noise suppression yet. The filter silencers are used in industry, and come in a wide variety of sizes, cubic feet per minute capacity, and prices.

The filter muffler you're talking about is nothing more than a small engine muffler. They are the type used on older 10, 12 HP engines like Briggs & Stratton. Should be easy enough to purchase. These are what our Say Mak was delivered with from Tom.

The  above mentioned ''filter/mufflers'' don't do either function well at all. I added up all the little 3/32''+- holes once in one of those things and calculated their area. The results amounted to a 25 to 30% restriction if I remember correctly and that imo isn't something I'd want to do to my rig.

I'd get a REAL cfm rated intake filter and either rout the exaust outside or into bucket where it can catch oil as well instead of blasting it into the work area.

A truely excelent filter silencer can be made up with a standard pnuematic filter. Run the exhaust into the filter and in the outlet of the filter screw in an aluminum pnuematic muffler. NOT the sintered metal or porous type but the slotted aluminum type. To not have severe restriction, use a filter and muffler several sizes bigger than the exhaust port. This will make what is know in the pnuematic trade as a reclassifier. Works a treat.

The classic option, is to run the exhaust into a five gallon pail filled with swarf, it works surprisingly well, and make no decernible effect in the hammers performance.The other thig to do is hook your exhaust to some 1" pex and send it through your nearest wall, then its not even in the same room as you. Hope this helps, Matt

The  above mentioned ''filter/mufflers'' don't do either function well at all. I added up all the little 3/32''+- holes once in one of those things and calculated their area. The results amounted to a 25 to 30% restriction if I remember correctly and that imo isn't something I'd want to do to my rig.

I'd get a REAL cfm rated intake filter and either rout the exaust outside or into bucket where it can catch oil as well instead of blasting it into the work area.

Thank you for your reply and the link to previous thread,Do you have any idea of displacement in CFM of SM50?

David

Thank you for your reply and the link to previous thread,Do you have any idea of displacement in CFM of SM50?

David

I do not, but if you find a true air filter that matches or is larger than your intake pipe threads then it would likely be ok.