I Forge Iron

winter forged fokos/walking stick head

here is my unfinished version for my camping/walking stick. made from hot roll 1 1/4" round stock which passed the spark and quench/break test. no idea what steel it is. when finished it will get a 7/8 by 1 1/4 hardwood handle, just over 4 feet long. i am considering langets, and it will also get a butt spike. 

am unsure about how to shape it, bearded or a more traditional shape. i guess that will be determined by the mood i`m in that day. 

i do get out to the shop once in a while, especially if the temperature goes up past -5' C.

image_zpse221c81b.jpg

I like the shape, Eggwelder. I have to use a cane, so now that I keep seeing these here, I may just do one. I know the hawk will have to be comfortable, and a hammer end would be more usefull than a spike end, all of which yours have. Thanks for showing.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jon,

I'm happy to hear about you being able to forge again in the wintery Ontario.

Very nice fokos head you got there. It will be a deadly weapon with that 4' long shaft. I'm looking forward to see the ready version. 

Bests to you

Gergely

I would think bearded would be best. If it's to be used for a walking stick, it has to serve first as a place to grip it while walking and second as a defense tool. With a bearded axe you can thin the are the hand would grasp it at while not sacrificing the size of the cutting edge.

Function over form

thanks to all for the comments. i think gromgor might be right on about the beard. i`ve filed and rounded the top portions to make it more comfortable, and some judicious grinding after a blade straightening is in order for the beard. 

snow is melting slowly, am finding things i forgot i had under the snow.