I Forge Iron

Ski chairs and heater stand

Double Y

I am an avid skier - it helps to pass winters in Montana.  I had several old skis around and turned them into the chair you see here in the background.  

The base for the chair is built from 2x2 tube and the back and seat are made from 1x1 tube.  All welded and black powder coated.  I used stainless screws to hold the skis to the metal.

The base for the heater is 1x1 angle with an 1/8 top.  I riveted the top in place and used 1/2 rod for the legs.  The legs are rivets as well.  There are bolts holding the heater to the top and a propane feed line going up through the middle.  I also had this powder coated black.

The heater is more for looks than heat.  The base is heavy enough to keep it from moving in our hurricane force winds this winter.

There has been NO sitting in the chair the past few days.  It was 26 below yesterday and with the windchill it was 46 below.  A good day to stand by the forge.

All the best,

John

post-5371-0-19700800-1391807424_thumb.jp

post-5371-0-01156100-1391807435_thumb.jp

post-5371-0-50662700-1391807439_thumb.jp

John

Cool work.

Those are some old school boards, love the Rossi's with the window in the tip. You live in a great spot, Bridger Bowl is a favorite. And of course Big sky. There's some steeeep terrain around you. I spent eight years in Whitefish. We did not get the cold but it would rain to the top of our ski hill a couple three times a year. Don't know which is worse. We got do do a bunch of riding in B.C. As well, even had a Fernie pass one year. Hope yer having a good season.

Sorry so much on skiing, it gets me exited. I would love one of them chairs.

Jamie

Thanks Nuge - I never get enough ski talk.  We had another powder day Saturday.  

The purple Rossi's were my first set.  I bought them in a pawn shop and skied them for years, but had trouble in the bumps.  Turns out they are downhill race skies designed to go straight and fast!

Oh well a dumb kid made it work.

Bridger is ok - not a great deal of lift accessed vertical there.  Big Sky/Moonlight are HUGE, but you have to deal with snooty people with loads of cash and no manners.  We ski Red Lodge Mountain, good vertical, okay to marginal snow on some years, laid back local vibe and blue Montana skies.  This year they are crushing the snow totals and I have enjoyed more powder than I can remember.

I have wiped out the rescue missions and thrift shops around here looking for old skis to build chairs.  Fun projects and comfortable too.

Ski Talk...brought to you by Double Y (John) and Nuge (Jamie)!