I Forge Iron

Welcome to the collection little Vulcan

My grandfather called me up today to show me what he had found for me. He has heard me speak of my fascination with metal, fabricating, and using anvils and primative tooling. I arrived finding this beautiful little Vulcan on the counter. He gave it to me. I told him he should keep it but he insisted that it was in his way. I like it a lot, even though I believe it is not forged. It looks like cast iron. I wish I knew how old it was, but the only marks are a pair of "78" 's. It feels to be about 60#, but I do not have a scale. I love to share my new tooling with you guys, so here are the pictures.....

post-46213-0-71517500-1391224511_thumb.j

post-46213-0-24209600-1391224542_thumb.j

post-46213-0-36747500-1391224566_thumb.j

I love my vulcan.  I have heard they are cast with a steel face proprietarily welded in the casting.  I would love to have one like that for my bench inside. I saw one very much like that at persons candy where I was working this last week.  Not in as good a shape as the one your sharing but man I would have loved to have that.  I hope you put it to good use.  :D

The vulcan anvils are made by the illinois iron and bolt company from 1875-1969 in carpentersville illinois. The 5 indicates it is a 50 pound anvil. The 78 means it was probably cast in 1878. Just a little info about it for u.
~The Mad Rabbit

Good piece of kit.  Vulcan anvils were made similar to Fisher anvils in that they were a cast iron body with a tool steel face plate welded on.  Very quiet anvil that's a dream to hammer on, and the neighbors appreciate it!

Mount it to a heavy stand and she'll perform wonderfully.

The vulcan anvils are made by the illinois iron and bolt company from 1875-1969 in carpentersville illinois. The 5 indicates it is a 50 pound anvil. The 78 means it was probably cast in 1878. Just a little info about it for u.
~The Mad Rabbit

Vulcan was able to start producing anvils in 1875 by the FISHER method because one of Fisher's patents that covered the method expired then