I Forge Iron

Yet another newbie

Mafro

Morning all

I've lurked here for a number of months admiring peoples work and machinery.  Having just picked up my first anvil I felt it was time to come out of the woodwork.

Knife making brought me here.  A few years ago I decided to try my hand at making myself a knife.  I wanted to be able to do as much of the process as I could, including the heat treatment which meant that if I wanted to make a knife I needed to make a forge.

My knives were made out of O1 flat ground tool steel, but once you start on these things other ideas start popping into your head.  I now want to have a go at forging blades myself.

I already had the forge, but needed an anvil.  After a few months of hunting I found one (see the anvil section of the forums) and hope to start hitting things soon.

I am also greatly advantaged in knowing a local blacksmith who has offered to let me into his shop so he can show me a thing or two.

Anyway, I hope to get to know you over the coming years and will keep you up to date with how I progress.

Mafro

Greetings and welcome Mafro,

I see you got a Brooks a forge and IFI,,,  That is all you need to get a good start on forging your own knives..   Be sure to add pictures of your progress. I wish you well on your venture...

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Welcome.

You ARE indeed fortunate to have a blacksmith to work with.  So many have to rely on youtube, descriptions, etc. when getting started that they miss out on the "hands-on" experience.

I recall that when I started making my first nails, I thought I had it down pat after watching some youtube videos.  Well, I DIDN'T.  It took me making two different nail headers and most of a couple of hours before I finally got it down to my satisfaction.