I Forge Iron

Several old power hammer tools

Here are several miscellaneous tools found with a large power hammer. Not sure what the handled piece was used for? Two edges are slightly rounded and two are square. It seems like it may have been used with the ‘U’ shaped block to make clips? but I suspect that it may have been used more as a flatter/set hammer. The ‘V’ shaped block does not come to a full 90 degree point in its trough.

post-7380-0-51742100-1390349939_thumb.jp

post-7380-0-95058500-1390349966_thumb.jp

post-7380-0-63209900-1390349977_thumb.jp

post-7380-0-24516700-1390349993_thumb.jp

Greetings Hump,

Looks like some lower forming dies that fit in a saddle block .  Neat forming dies.  Super find.. They would work well in a Treadle hammer or you could make a holding fixture for your anvil or weld on a hardie post..  That is if you don't have a power hammer ... I have a KA 75 and would use them free..

Forge on and make beautiful things..

Jim

The v-block looks like it was forged and would not typically have a dead sharp bottom. The only way to have formed it more precisely would be by machining. Sharp corners are considered bad for forgings because they can create stress risers.

The u-block and hack might function as a shear under a large hammer with flat dies. A piece of flat bar stock can lay in the "u" then the sharp side of the hack is set perpendicular to the bar close against the block. A quick hard strike would shear the bar.

The large block is forged as is the smaller one. I'd think one could get a fairly sharp corner by driving a square bar in when forming the 'V'? While a sharp V could be a liability it would allow one to use the block to hold squares on edge. I wonder what they used if for? Holding rounds? 

I like the idea of shearing with the other two pieces.

With all the sharp corners on the handled tool I suspect it may be just a stopper.  Also known as a kiss block.  I have quite a few of them that came in the 4 crates full of tools I got with my hammer.  Used to forge to a consistent thickness.  It is likely a high or at least a medium carbon steel.  The shop my hammer came out of used "refined 8" for stoppers.  which is basically 1080.