I Forge Iron

Champion No. 242 forge info

TABarton

I've bought one of these forges on the Cheap!  It only has 4 legs and the cast iron forge itself with no blower, Would anybody have a picture or ad of the complete forge with all the "bells and whistles". I bought the forge to use and I need all the info I can to get it up and running. All help is greatly appreciated! Thanks to all in advance!

I have 3 small blowers from the round rivet style champion forges, 2 with tuyeres/ash dumps and a set of legs that came with this(homemade I suspect?) All of which I could make work. However, I'm more or less trying to see what type of forge this is? Did it come with a hood? What type of blower was std. with this model? How old this may be? Etc.

A lot of old forges like this did not come *standard* with anything. It was more or less like a free for all, you bought this model forge, with this model of blower, with this model of firepot etc. 

Also, many times forges were sold without being connected to a brand, becuase of the number of them made. If this is the only part you have, we're working with a lot of unknowns. Many forge-makers used a shape similar to this, so it depends on the other pieces of the forge that you have. 

Why is it a Champion? I have not seen such a cast hearth with a small round hole. The Champions I've seen had a rectangular hole for the firepot. The cast iron Champion firepots are hard to find nowadays. They had three slots in the bottom for clinker and ash cleanout.  On lots of the old cast hearth forges, the legs were of pipe and each leg was curved cornerward at the bottom portion. Champion blowers are available on the used market. The standup, hand cranked, Champion 400 series had a good reputation. As with most American forges, there was a 3" stovepipe intake for the blast connection.