I Forge Iron

My Gas forge

flyguy8555

While taking a blachsmithing/tool-making class at the North House Folk School in Grand Marais, MN., I was able to purchase the materials to replicate my instructor's small gas forge. Using a decent propane torch burner and a bulk LP tank, it heats up fast and works very well. Inside dimensions are approximately 2 1/2" by 9". I'm sure this design has been posted here before, but I couldn't find any references to it in my searches, so I thought I'd throw it up here.

post-46881-0-12245400-1389499214_thumb.j

I should also mention the cost. $12 for the fire bricks (I bought them at the class, so no shipping), $37 for the Bernzomatic torch (local Ace Hardware), and $21 for the adapter hose (they have them at Walmart, in the camping supplies). I'm using the LP tank from our gas grill. I don't know about fuel consumption yet, but next time I fill the tank, I'm going to start a log to record hours so I'll know how long a full tank lasts me.

That will work just fine for small stuff.  Even soft fire bricks are a poor insulator, allowing the heat to escape far more rapidly than kaowool or the like.  However, if you paint the inside of the bricks with something like Plistix or ITC100 you will see a marked increase in performance.

Don't ask too much out of it.  For 1/4" stock and smaller, you'll be okay.