I Forge Iron

Future shop move to Oregon

Crazy Ivan

So, my girlfriend, my dog, myself and of course my shop are hoping to move out west next summer (hopefully). We were talking about Oregon (not sure exactly where, but somewhere just outside Eugene or Portland area) and I was wondering how the market is out there. I make a lot of everything really, from gates to bottle openers to decorative wall/door pieces, to sculptures and tools (sometimes knives if it is a friend with the understanding I am not much for bladesmithing). I have an Etsy shop and that is hit or miss really, so most of my work tends to go to local business and individuals in my area. I am wondering about Propane (or coal should my location allow it) supply, steel suppliers, scrap yards, and the general interest in hand forged goods. Also, how well people do finding tools within 100 miles of these areas. I have traveled through these areas before and really fell in love with the artistic appreciation, wilderness (the cascades are amazing!), and general vibe I got there. Any Oregonians have any plus or minuses they could throw my way before I pack up and move 3,000 miles? From what I hear there is a great guild out that way as well!  Any thoughts are appreciated.

-Crazy Ivan

Check out the NWBA. The website is not active but the NWBA itself is with monthly hammer-ins and periodic conferences.

There are several steel suppliers in the Portland/Vancouver area. There is a nice almost flea market second hand tool type shop outside of Eugene the proprieter is named "Lance" I think. Wish I could remember the directions to it, or the name or phone number. He has some good stuff there at times. He has held stuff for me to drive down in a couple days and see about getting it. That impressed me.

There is Fort Vancouver to visit also. There are also salvage and recycling yards in the Portland area. If you are looking to recycle coil springs and such.

Rashelle

There are a number of bladesmiths and blacksmiths between Portland and Eugene.  Portland is "the Big City", expensive to live, but artsy.  Eugene is a University town.  The old part of town is pretty, and there are a number of small communities around it.  Eugene is pretty "crunchy" and there is a solid weekend craft market.  Out past the city limits it becomes farm land pretty fast.

One of the largest knife shows on the West Coast is in Eugene in the Spring, it's an "anything that goes cut" show, not a combo knife/gun show.  The NWBA is a strong group of makers, and the group has a permanent site in Longview, just over the Wa/Or border.  I don't know about the monthly meetings, but the Spring show is a good place to find tools, lots of tailgate stuff.

Coal is hard to find on the Left coast, and good smithing coal harder than that.

Geoff

I can't remember his full name but there is a coal supplier James ........ that is a member of the NWBA that has been supplying some good coal. You can get a hold of him on the website, or through NWBA I believe. I'm not sure of the thing about putting other peoples names that sell things on here so a PM if you need  it and I'll remember his full name. So in short that is readily available at NWBA events or through his location.

Rashelle

I'm an Oregon weirdo. I choose to live on the east side of the Cascades. There's dying  logging towns every 100 miles, below zero temps in the winter, and mosquitos that will make you jump in the lake for relief. There's also more dirt biking than can be traveled in several lifetimes, great views of the milky way, and great community attitude. If I had to re-locate from K-falls, I would look at Baker City, or Lakeview. Open carry six-guns are the norm in the high desert. It's hard to sell stuff locally, but when you get good enough at your craft, folks find you wherever you are.

I'm just a bit of a traveler at heart(my excuse anyway) so here goes. When Grant was running it the NWBA site was awesome, these days not so much. However he invited me over to their Conference in 2011 during which I met some of the nicest people ever. I returned again last year and met even more really fantastic folk. I recon the Northwest is a fantastic place to relocate to. I think if  you are heading to Eugene somebody like Eric Sprado will give you all the low down on the blacksmithing side and be able to help you wrt. Property etc.   Being cautious I'm trying to keep a home in good old sunny SA and relocate to the Northwest to see ''how it goes'' but I'm no longer a spring chicken and I need to be able to rustle up about $1 000 000 which is a bit of a mission! To put it in perspective I travel for at least 30 hours by air to get to either Portland or Seattle and so far I've done it twice!

Ian, Good on ya! I think I can help a bit. I'll round up the usual suspects to help you unpack. We'll bring our own single malt, that should save you $200K on the move.

P.S. One of my friends used to have a plane that slow...

PPS. You have turned into a bi-annual mentor to me. I truly enjoy the stories of your traveling experiences. There's a room and a steak dinner waiting for you if you get around my neck of the woods.

mike

Hi Mike, I'll have to make a note of that! :unsure: - I'm impressed that you recon that you and some of your mates and I could get through $200k's worth of single malt! :D

Remember I like a steak done so that a good vet would be able to get it back on the road :D  and I of course have always have a room (that has a bed) single malt and a snack or two for any traveling smith!

Ian