I Forge Iron

champion 400 questions

ironsmith

Hey guys,

Just got this Blower and i have some questions.

The blower functions great and the gears are in great condition. there is a lot of play in the bushings.

My main question is how much oil is it supposed to be in there.

I filled it up to the first bushing and (half a quart) and almost all of it  poored from the worm gear at the bottom drive where the fan attaches.

do i need to rebuild the bushings?  or is that normal to have just a little oil at the bottom?

post-120-0-03266000-1387235890_thumb.jpg

post-120-0-15961200-1387235924_thumb.jpg

Champion blowers use ball bearings on all shafts with grease cups, including the fan end. I use white Lubriplate in the cups and a daily squirt of oil in the top oiler which works its way to the fan bearing. Champions are a very solid design and like to be used frequently!

Greetings Ironsmith,

I think you will find that the blower drive shaft has ball bearings...  I use chain saw bar oil .. Just enough to cover the lower shaft.. The others have grease cups.  This puts the oil level below the blower shaft..  Works good for me..  Another note.. The shaft is the inner race of the bearings .. If it is quite leave it alone..

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim