I Forge Iron

Funding / grants

Has anyone had any luck in gaining funding in the uk for starting up / expanding blacksmithing business?

I am living in Devon and have been doing some research but am getting confused and bogged down by the seemingly diverse and complex funding available for everything from small business to arts funding. I wandered if anyone had actually succeeded in attracting any of this funding for blacksmithing?

thanks

John Bellamy (John B here) would have a good idea, he runs Westpoint and the Wessex Guild. He is very very helpful to new/aspiring/old smiths  :)

When I started up, I was looking for funding and couldn't put myself through the various hoops that most places want you to jump through. The only funding I did get one from Business Link (I think), who gave a couple of hundred quid to young craftspeople. There is also the Princes Trust, but required you to be under 25 I think.

Thanks i will give him a pm. He was already helping me out with pointing me towards new premises, I didn't realise who he was, i think i actually met him at finch foundry but hadn't joined all the dots up and figured out i was talking to him online as well :)  He seems to be a very helpful and knowledgeable smith to know!

• 2 weeks later...

Try your council's website, or better still call your council. When I researched grants/loans a little while ago I didn't get much joy looking down the national route so I started looking locally. I've now applied to a new business development + 0% loan scheme I found on my council's site.

I get the impression that the council run ones are done annually so there's generally something on the horizon, it just depends on what kind of businesses they're wanting to develop in your area.

• 3 weeks later...

Business Link was an excellent source of help and advice as it was given freely by successful local business men, usually retired, they also knew how to source grants and funding. Alas, due to economic climate, the government has closed it down.

If you are a member of BABA I am sure someone there could point you in the right direction, if any are available.