I Forge Iron

i've got some questions on building a forge

syfiguy99

1. Maybe

2. Maybe

1: I've seen fire bricks used to line the table of some solid fuel forges, but you don't have to have them. I just posted up the all steel coal forge I built and have had no issues without using bricks. I did build a brick pile gas forge however using fire bricks.

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

2: As far as coal/coke. They are two options for solid fuel, but charcoal is another.  depends on what is available where you are located.

Forges began as simple holes in the ground.  Modern forges tend to be a way to elevate that hole so we can work standing up comfortably.  Things like brake drum forges usually are not lined with anything and the "washtub forges" are lined with local clay/dirt AKA adobe.

If your forge needs to be shaped to provide a firepot type area clay/sand/ashes will do the job cheaper than firebricks.  OTOH I keep some fire bricks handy for when I use charcoal in a coal forge to make the firepot deeper and narrower and so suit the different fuel.

You really should know what fuel you will be using FIRST otherwise it's like trying to design an engine not knowing if it will be fueled with gas or diesel!