I Forge Iron

180# Unknown Anvil

I have linked to this anvil via chat just recently and have received mixed input from several members. A few seem to think that despite its rugged appearance it is a good buy while others think I would be better off just to purchase an anvil with "more desirable characteristics". There is an argument whether or not this anvil is wrought iron or cast. I am currently in contact with the owner and waiting for a response as to what exactly he knows about this "oldie" and would very much like your opinion on the matter? What do you think for $275 ; $1.53/lb? The horn is definitely unique. 

cyp3.jpg

48u6.jpg

uvw8.jpg

ob62.jpg

bkul.jpg

24ca.jpg

Definitely a forged anvil.  Probably English or European in origin.  Rather crudely made, compared to many anvils of the type.  It appears to have been modified for a particular purpose.  Remember, the anvil is tool, and if it suits the job fine.  If changes would make the job easier or faster, make the changes.

It also appears as though the main part of the heel had been broken off and either a piece was welded on, or a portion of the remaining part was drawn out to form that part.  Just my opinion upon observation.

Brian,

There seems to be some good workable area on the face and table but the horn might present some issues if you are trying to so some scrolling. Doesn't seem to be a hardy hole either, which I have already found to be very useful in my short time doing this. If it had a hardy hole I would consider getting it as a striking anvil. You could get a good welder to dress some of it up but that's going to be more money into it. I'm by no means a "experienced" person on this yet but that's my opinion from what I have been taught so far. It all comes down to what "you" feel comfortable with and want to spend your money on in the long run. If you do get it, make sure to run a good ball bearing test on it or hammer test. Make sure rebound is decent and be weary of thud sounds when tapping around the face. Thuds don't "always" mean there's something wrong but a good sign sometimes that the face is separating from the body or other issues. Me personally, I would pass on that one for that price. I think for that kind of money you might be able to find yourself a good 150# with a little better features. I'm sure some more experienced folks will add to this.

Wyatt

I seem to remember Postman saying that if you could look at an anvil while covering up the horn, and the hourglass shape of the body was symmetrical, with the horn as an afterthought, it was pre-1800, possibly much older.

My guess is 1650 to 1750 English, small shop not major name in the industry. Definately wrought, you can see the forging marks on the waist under the heel.

Now someone with a copy of AiA can shoot me down. :)

My guess is 1650 to 1750 English, small shop not major name in the industry. Definately wrought, you can see the forging marks on the waist under the heel.

If it is indeed that old I wonder if the anvil is even workable? Most definitely need to do a rebound test when I go and see it in person early next year.

Greetings Brian,

The fellas pretty much covered the identification of the anvil... As far as price ...  There are much better anvils out there for less.. 

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Well, I do have several choices...but for the past month these are the only other ones that have come up on listings. Taking price and travel restrictions into consideration these two are quite a bit out of the way and cost a bit more. I can't drive so these options are only open to how far my wife is willing to take me in the truck. 

#1: Very Serviceable Peter Wright - 151# ; $385 ; 2.5 hours away

exgf.jpg

#2: Questionable Hill Anvil - No Weight Indicated on Ad - $320

1rmr.jpg

e15g.jpg

emgh.jpg

Your #2 Hill anvil looks as if it had a major repair of the heel welded back on.  Either that or a major crack was welded.  I would be wary of that one.  Your #1 Peter Wright looks to be a decent anvil, although I cannot tell how the edges are from the photo.  2 1/2 hour drive is a short trip.  I went 658 miles round trip two weeks ago to pick up a vise.

I'd stump up the cash for that peter wright, 

The anvil in the OP has had a hard life. I wouldn't say it was that old - if you follow what is left of the original curve it doesn't look to be symmetrical. 

I'd also guess that the hole has been drilled into it to replace what was lost. 

If the horn was in good shape and what was left had perfect edges and was perfectly flat - it might be worth a go  - as it stands I'd probably offer $200 at best. 

Andy

Thank you for all of your opinions regarding the anvil in the original post. I received an email back from the seller this morning and he himself doesn't really know much about it, but this is what he said when I asked him about the heel and history;

Brian,

I don't know if it was forged or cast.  I don't think anything was broken off.  I had a local blacksmith come over and look at it, and he wanted to take it in trade, but I couldn't think of anything I wanted him to make for me.  He thought it might have been made for a specific purpose.  I believe he thought it was made in the early 1800's.  That's about all I know.  His name is Med Chandler and he's right here in Lisbon. 

The blacksmith that wanted to barter for the anvil originally is the owner of Ships Coy Forge in Lisbon, NH. Since I don't know entirely too much about IFI's restrictions on external links, I will just say that he does have a website and can be googled if anybody is interested in seeing his work.