I Forge Iron

Good Morning,

Making a Handled Hot Cut is part of the curriculum for my Beginner Blacksmith Course. It is a good exercise in punching a handle hole and keeping it in the center of the material, then drawing out the blade. I always suggest to make the  edge of the Hot Cut at a radius/partly round (this allows you to follow a line in your material without taking the Hot Cut off the  material. If you can't find any sticks to make handles from, use a broken Hockey Stick.

In my mind, never fix the handle with a wedge!! I allow the handle to protrude through the head, then I drill two holes for cotter pins in the protruding part of the Handle wood. This stops the handle from falling off and doesn't allow the rebound and vibration from the Hammer striking the Hot Cut to affect your Hand,Arm & Elbow. They call it "TENNIS ELBOW". The main cure for "Tennis Elbow" is rest and TIME. I have an elastic band always in my pocket (a wide elastic band from broccolli). I use the elastic band on the OUTSIDE of my my finger tips, to exercise my fore-arm in the opposite way :) :)

Neil