I Forge Iron

Not really smithing more like fabrication.

Dr Dean

Actually very nice that I can tell from the pictures. Did you attach leaves or not have the time/patience/want to? I might recommend changing the bends a bit more on the petals as they appear to be a bit similar currently (this could be due to the fact that the pictures aren't as clear as i'd like) unless you're already doing that and I didn't notice. Would be interested in a copper blueprint to let us know how you did this if you have the chance and the time.

As for the photos, next time try getting more even light in the room, or maybe outdoors in the sunshine. I would love to see more detail of your work.

btw, the above is just a suggestion from someone who has never worked copper, so feel free to take it with a grain of salt. ;)

Thanks. I did a run of a dozen after those pics were taken. I did sit down and study our rose bushes outside and tried to simulate what I saw of the real thing. If anyone has some hints for making leaves I'd apprecate some advise. My duaghter and I tried about 2 dozen times and nothing really pleased me so we decided to go with no leaves.

The stems are 4GA solid wire(ground wire) and the petals are made of copper trim coil. I tig weld the petals to the stem at about 80 to 110 amps. The petals are a great heatsink and it takes alot of current to get the job done. The other thing that I do is drop them into a bucket of water when they are still at a red heat to anneal the copper and also to remove most of the scale. Here's a link to boilerman's tutortial that I used. Making of a Rose - Shop Floor Talk

Your roses are wraped tighter than mine, but, mine have been sittin on a wall a long time. Once I had them made I put them back in the coal fire and watched for colour changes an hit the slack tub. I used 1/4 round stock for a stem and shaped the stem into a U hook with three leaves on the other end to mount on a wall. The cross bar held a quilt. I finished them off with clear urothane spray. I didn't get a kiss for mine did you?