I Forge Iron

Shop business

Rich Hale

I hate to post this and move the 5160 knife down so I will post a note on that to keep it up. Thought I would share some things that have made my life easier. I got in kind of a rut and just did things the way I learned them. It was working and why change? I ave a lot of thought as to how this was really working and had not really decided that I needed to change much. Then I got a milling machine and had to change the lay out of the shop as it did not fit without moving alot of things. That started it. As long as the equipment had to be moved why not take along look at how it would be placed and how I would work? First thing that I noticed is the workbench just was not right. It was about the stanard height for a bench and that meant I found myself bending over more that I needed to. The storage underneath was not useable and just gave me a place to put stuff I did not need. A new taller bench with out storage gave me a reason to get rid of a lot of stuff. I can work comfortably either standing or sitting on a tall stool. Both put me at about the same height. I use drill presses a lot so I put four of them in a row on one end of the bench. For storage on top of the banch I bought an old snap on tool box and the drawers and the top provides and efficient way to find tools and supplies. I have a nice belt grinder and attachments for a small wheel grinder I use the small wheels on every knife, but to do so requires a change of wheels and then back to the first set up when needed. Yesterday I started on a new grinder that will just be used for the small wheels. And that will require moving things a bit for the space needed. I expect those changes will open another door for improvement. I hope. Along with the changes in the shop I have made some changes in the way I look at my work and how I can improve not only they way I do thing but in the fit and finish of the end product. In addition to the physical things this require some additional knowledge in knife making. Now to the overall plan for me that has worked in the past and will be part of the future: Look at what I do on a regular schedule, see what can or should be changed, find out what I can change on the money I can commit to it, further my education, examine new techniques and or materials, and set aside part of each week to either maintain equipment or improve in some what the work area or how I use it.
These changes have helped me I hope some of you will find some value. Rich Hale

Two things: First, jeesh, Rich, get a life! Secondly, I applaud your intentions; however, methinks you are putting more effort into rethinking the wheel than just doing what you like and make money at. There are natural laws that should not be scorned....if it worked, don't mess with it! :) :)

Awesome post Rich.
Taking the time to look at the ergonomics and work flow in your shop environment can same alot of time as well as strain on your body. Laying your tools out in a logical order of progression often means you dont even have to stop and think about what the next step in the progression is, because it is right next to the step you just took.
Congratulations on the new milling maching, you will find it is a very handy tool. Be forewarned though, once you start using it and see all the cool things it can do, you will be spending as much on tooling as you did on the mill itself :D

Good stuff Rich. I find that my welding table needs to be a little higher than anvil height. The swage stand, forge and anvil are all same height. Long stuff in the forge can have the cold end setting on a stand or one of the other places same height. I have a rollaway with top and bottom cabinets for tool stowage. Working around another smith ( really once a year for me at Threshers ) helps to give me fresh ideas. I don't get out much as I keep a fairly busy schedule. I use old bolt boxes for small part stowage too.