I Forge Iron

best place to mount the mtr/pump assy

michiganhammer

Goodmorning,

I am in the process of building a Batson Press and I would like some thoughts on the best place to

mount the mtr/pump combo.  I tried to mount it on the frame and the noise was incredible.  I have

worked with other press assy and they were loud but not this loud.  Would it be better to mount the

mtr/pump assy on top of the oil tank on a plate or somehow away from the metal that magnifys the

vibration noise?  I tried to put some rubber mat under both the motor and the pump and it was still

very annoying.  I had ear protection on feel that it was excessive noise.

I have found that the two major noise issues are:

high RPM...if you have a logsplitter pump you could use for example the 22gpm pump run at 1750RPM with a 5hp motor vs the 11gpm pump at 3600RPM. The reduced speed is quieter.

The other is mis-aligmnet...is your mounted with a bell housing between the C-face motor and the bolt on pump or did you line it up yourself and have the lovejoy take up the difference?

I like the powerpack to be on a wheeled cart and use lines with quick disconnects between.

This way the power pack can be used on other things as well as being put further away and not vibrating the press frame.

Ric

Ric,  the 11gpm pump is mounted to a 4 bolt angle type mount with a lovejoy in between and a

5hp 3450 mtr running it,  The thought of a 1750 rpm never entered my plans.  I will look into getting

a slower motor and trying that.  It will have to wait a few days.W here I live here in Michigan just

outside of Kalamazoo, over 100,000 are with out power until maybe this Sat evening.

I will go to your web page and let you know how the motor works. Dave