I Forge Iron

Hello

DWyatt

Hello everyone,

Ive been lurking around the forums for a few days and even had the pleasure to talk to a few of you. I thought I would introduce myself. I currently live in Georgia (although the military pushes me around the world alot) and have decided to give blacksmithing a try. I have wanted to do this for quite sometime but other things have taken precidence (kids and my job) in the recent years and I am finally at a point to give it a go. I took the advice that Ted gave me and contacted the local Blacksmithing Guild here and looks like there is a fella that teaches in his shop not to far from me so thats a blessing. I was prepared to run down a ton of rabbit holes learning the hard way but this will definatly save me some time and pain. I had no idea that anvils were made of gold so I put my brick forge idea to rest for a bit to pick up a decent chunck of steel once I find one. In the mean time I will be building Glens 55 Forge! Just barly scratching the surface on this site and should be getting backyard blacksmithing in the mail soon but there is an overwhelming amount of info here. Look forward to talking with you all more and cant wait to get on the road to blacksmithing!

Wyatt

Howdy from 'bama.  Let me first thank you for your service.  I know anvils are hard to find, it took me over 4 years to find mine.  I do however have a couple of rr track pieces if you are interested.  One is a post anvil set up that wieghs about 150lbs and the other is a project, it's the largest piece of RR I've ever seen.  A little over 2ft and every bit of 80lbs.  I believe it came from a crane.  I've been meaning to rough it in with the torch but haven't took the time.

Also there was a Swedish anvil at a little hole in the wall flea market in Greensboro, Al he wanted $150 for.  It's so hidden in the back of the place I think Indiana Jones would have trouble finding it. :huh:    Keep your ear to the ground, anvils will turn up in some unusuall places!

Thanks JM. I actually started the TPAAA that Iron Dwarf mentioned a couple days ago and may have landed a free 55#er. Small but that was just two days. Ill keep hunting, found a 150# at a antique store on the way home but they wanted 425 for it and the edges were pretty beat up so I passed. Im certain Ill find something in a week or two.