I Forge Iron

Wooden farrier's anvil stand

Hey guys, I'm new and in need of advice. I'd like to build an anvil stump since a cliff carroll is out of my price range at the moment. The hangup is I have to haul the anvil and stand in and out of my truck several times a day, and I'm a bit of a little person, so weight is a real issue. Any lower weight designs out there? 

If it helps I have a 100lb dovetail Scott

I made a wooden "box" stand for my small portable anvil. I'll have to dig and see if I have any picts of it on this computer otherwise I'll try and grab one if I remember at the shop tomorrow if I swing by.

All it is a a few pieces of 5/8" plywood cut to taper to the anvil base size at the top and be wider at the bottom. The corners are reinforced with 2x's.

Being you have a truck you could take the rout I have taken and install a crane on the back of the truck as the more weight attached to the anvil the more of your energy will go towards moving the hot steel instead of the anvil.  It takes a little added time but its far better for me than trying to be macho and putting it in with my own muscle power.   The other option is a three legged stand made from tubing.  I have seen many farriers and some of my fellow smiths with this style.  It works pretty well.  I will be making one for my 100 lb acme anvil soon.  With a hand forged wing bolt for quick dismantling. I have found the more a piece will brake down into manageable pieces the easier it is to haul around.  Using things like wedges, bolts, square tubing will help to make things manageable.  But at that point you have to figure out what is the heaviest you want to be lifting and figure out how to brake it down into pieces that are under that weight.  You could have detachable legs that are just square tubing in a short piece of slightly larger square tubing so you have 5 pieces including the anvil( 3 legs, baseplate/shelf, anvil)  tap the short sections with a wing bolt so the legs wont fall out when you lift the stand up and don't want them to.  At that point your anvil will be the heaviest piece you will have to lift.  You could also make a brake down wooden stand.  where threaded rod runs through your boards holding them together and undo one to as many bolts as you want and there you go a couple of boards to throw in the back one by one and one to however many threaded rods with nuts and washers on them.  When I started I had to haul my 185 lb vulcan anvil and large block of wood out into my driveway every time I wanted to forge and worst of all put it back in when I was done. Yeah I quickly made it so I could wheel it in and out.  There are many ways to skin a cat and at 5:00am there are only a few I can think of (and none of them very friendly to the cat  :D)  

I hope this helps :D