I Forge Iron

Tiny Vise

wolfb

I found this little vise on Ebay, I didn't really need it but was enchanted by it and for $30 I couldn't resist.  Markings say Pat. June 16 1885 H & B.  Seems to be in excellent condition.  Any information on it?  google didn't really come up with anything except ads for similar vises (for a whole lot more).  Any history would be greatly appreciated.

Update:  I found the patent but still don't know the company.  Does not appear to be HB smith, but I may be wrong.  I attached the patent information

http://www.datamp.org/patents/displayPatent.php?pn=320224&id=7259

post-26472-0-84658700-1382449817_thumb.j

post-26472-0-82911500-1382449824_thumb.j

post-26472-0-86923800-1382449831_thumb.j

post-26472-0-13121200-1382449856_thumb.j

post-26472-0-57059800-1382449865_thumb.j

I did some more research and the company that made this little vise is Heller and Brothers company, a blacksmith/farriers company made famous in the nineteeth century for making files and Hammers and is now known as Simonds international

I've seen a lot of Heller Bros. hammers and files, as well as a few other blacksmithing tools, I've got a few of their hammers and tongs and they're amazing, but I've never, ever seen a Heller vise! :)

HG Skip Brack at the Davistown Tool Museum in Maine helped me out with this one, strangely I've been obsessed with researching this little guy and I feel like I got some closure

'>just for fun:

'>

I have similar sized one but with the front jaw pivoting on a hinge at the base like a full size blacksmith vice.

The anvil on mine doesn't have a bik like yours does though.

Mine has no markings and it comes from my father-in-law's (FIL) tool box.

Most likely he got it from his father or earlier descendant as there are a number of tools in that toolbox that are at least 150 years old and one hammer with 1793 stamped on it.

I have similar sized one but with the front jaw pivoting on a hinge at the base like a full size blacksmith vice.
The anvil on mine doesn't have a bik like yours does though.
Mine has no markings and it comes from my father-in-law's (FIL) tool box.
Most likely he got it from his father or earlier descendant as there are a number of tools in that toolbox that are at least 150 years old and one hammer with 1793 stamped on it.

I'd love to dog through some of those tools

• 3 weeks later...