I Forge Iron

forging a double headed

almost unheard of in medieval and renaissance Europe; look for examples in India and the middle east.

My suggestion is instead of the "bow-tie" for regular single edged axes make two pieces and forge weld them together leaving room for the eye and if possible at the ends to allow the bits to be welded in.

I once met a smith who made them for the radical feminist movement, (the Amazons of ancient greek myth were supposed to have used them and so pretty much the only mention of them in Western Europe in early times...)  She liked to buy worn out double bitted axes and then forge weld the large semi-lunar bits to them give her the eye as a freebie.

In the two I've made, I made a hardy swage in the shape of half the eye and then sunk the two sides and welded them together. One had a file for both sides of the bit and the other was completely high carbon steel(tested tractor mower blade) for both sides. Getting the files in both sides and welding them was a bit of a pain and just using high carbon steel for each side was much easier. If you are like me, expect to have to try it several times before you get a good result. I lost count on my failures.

In the two I've made, I made a hardy swage in the shape of half the eye and then sunk the two sides and welded them together. One had a file for both sides of the bit and the other was completely high carbon steel(tested tractor mower blade) for both sides. Getting the files in both sides and welding them was a bit of a pain and just using high carbon steel for each side was much easier. If you are like me, expect to have to try it several times before you get a good result. I lost count on my failures.

That sounds like a good idea, especially to keep the stock for each blade even.  Do you have any pictures of finished products?  I'd like to try a double bit down the road, and haven't decided if I want to weld two pieces or slit and drift one yet.

That sounds like a good idea, especially to keep the stock for each blade even. Do you have any pictures of finished products? I'd like to try a double bit down the road, and haven't decided if I want to weld two pieces or slit and drift one yet.

The first one is in my closet and is a bit embaressing as i didn't get it welded up as good as I would have liked. Ill get a pic up later. The second was far superior but it is no longer with me and dumb me only got one pic of it which ill have to find. The blades i used were about 1/4" thick and cut to 8" long. The axes were about 2lbs each.