I Forge Iron

Help-Regulator settings for Victor #6 rosebud

I want to check on the proper Oxy-Act settings for my Victor #6 rosebud regulator settings.  I've searched the Victor website and the internet but was unable to find the proper settings for my #6 rosebud tip.  I have large tanks recently filled.  I have generally set the Acet at 5 to 7 psi and the oxy at 35 to 40psi.  I'm going to heat 3/4" bars for twisting.  Are these settings generally correct?  Once you light the acet I generally turn it up until the soot decreases.  Is this correct?   

The first thing I will ask is what size acetylene you are using.  With rose buds even as small as a # 6 a #5 acetylene is recomended but you can get away with a #4 cylinder sometimes.  You use the formula 1/7 a cylinders cubic footage per hour.  If you exceed this it will cause the acetone that is in the cylinder (what keeps the gas stable) will foam up and come out.  It will gum up your regulator and torch.  A symptom of this is you will see white streaks in the flame.  I've had brand new cylinders (#4's) do this.

Back you your question.  10-12 psi (never exceed 15) on the acetylene and 35-40 on the oxygen.

Starving it for fuel/oxygen will cause the rosebud to heat up and back fire extinguishing the flame and followed by a wistle.  If this happens turn of the oxygen first then the gas.  Be safe!

The Acet tank has DOT #8 and a sticker that says 129 Cu Ft.  The Oxy has DOT 3 AA 2250 whatever that means.  How do you set the proper nozzle pressure after you light the rosebud and start to open the acet?  What are you looking for?  I've always just increase the Acet on the torch valve until it stops smoking alot.  Is this correct?   

oxy pressure seems high for a small tip, you will get better control of the oxy with the torch valve well open, I would have thought 12-20 would be plenty.

If I am using someones gear and the oxy pressure gauge is dodgy I do what JMCUSTOM says, get the acetylene flame to just reattach to the tip then with the oxy pressure set on the low side open the valve a good amount and bring the flame up with the regulator on the bottle, go well past where it looks right and adjust the valve back to a neutral flame. gives a good starting point.

I completed the project with using the Oxy/Act torch.  The settings were 7 for Act and 40 for Oxy.  When lighting the Act. I opened up the act torch valve until I had a good flame and then adjusted the Oxy until I had some nice cones at the rosebud tip.  Because I use the torch to assist in twisting 3/4" bars, I felt the torch worked well having a more powerful flame.  It worked great at these pressures even if it was more than a truly effecient and economical flame.