I Forge Iron

Milk

Joel OF

Does milk coming in contact with finished mild steel pose any rusting problems?
I finish the bowls I make by food safe baking them in the oven with vegetable oil, as you would a cast iron skillet. A lady that bought a bowl from me at one of my stalls asked if it was ok to put milk in it as milk is acidic, I had no clue as to the answer.

Most body fluids are saline based, Slightly less than one percent. Without doing your research my guess is milk is also. Saline will cause oxidation.

Lots of decades ago I had a friend that drove a semi with box on back, He hauled ten gallon metal containers of milk to be processed, The floor of the rig was made from stainless steel. Every few years they replaced the rusted out floor as the milk would eat it away. Not sure how my brain is able to dig this information up from deep within as I for sure have consumed a lot of milk over time.

Lots of decades ago I had a friend that drove a semi with box on back, He hauled ten gallon metal containers of milk to be processed, The floor of the rig was made from stainless steel. Every few years they replaced the rusted out floor as the milk would eat it away.

Holy smokes Batman! Now I don't feel like such a wuss for being lactose intolerant and having lactose free milk.