I Forge Iron

Couple of Dragon Heads

Here's a couple of dragon heads I made up in the new gas forge,post-182-0-57868600-1381258319_thumb.jpg

following instructions by Curt Welch in the July/August 2010 newsletter of the Blacksmith Guild of the Potomac. 

Some additional tweaks  than the heads I'd been making. post-182-0-23104700-1381258283_thumb.jpg

Mostly in a series of small chisel cuts to define the eyes, nose and sides of the snout. Finally a use for that tiny little hot set! The notches on the snout make a huge difference in the over all look of these.

One of the new ones "bit" me as I was punching the keychain hole in the neck. Long bar with the head held to the anvil face with a weighted roller chain, handled punch most of the way thru the half inch stock, pulling the punch up while holding the stock down with the hammer head, the bar pivoted under the chain and hit the ring and long fingers on my hammer hand. That'll leave a mark!  A good incentive to make one of those spring loaded saddle type hold downs.

Just got the Dan Boone books from Skipjack press, so some other dragon head techniques to try and incorporate into the dragons. .

Incidentally, this link to a bunch of Blacksmith Groups Newsletters is a great resource.

http://www.bamsite.org/Index/blacksmith%20on%20web.html

Thanks for looking.